Graduation Requirements 2023/2024
Twenty-five credits (twenty-seven and a half starting with the class of 2025) credits are required for graduation for Loyal High School classes of 2023 and 2034.
Required courses/credits include:
- Four years of English=4 Credits
- English 9 (1 credit)
- English 10 (1 credit)
- 2 Junior English Selections (1/2 credit each)
- 2 Senior English Selections (1/2 credit each)
- NOTE: Juniors who wish to fulfil their senior English requirements with higher education courses must take the 1-credit College-Prep English course in their junior year
- 1/2 credit of English must be taken during the senior year
- Three years of Mathematics=3 Credits
- Algebra (1 credit)
- Geometry (1 credit)
- Intermediate Algebra (1 credit)
- NOTE: 1/2 credit may be earned in Algebra Basics with teacher permission
- Three years of Science= 3 Credits
- Integrated Science or Biology in grade 9 (1 credit)
- Biology (if not taken in grade 9) (1 credit)
- One more Science credit
- NOTE: students are encouraged to take General Chemistry (1 credit)
- Three years of Social Studies=3 Credits
- American History I (1 credit)
- Political Science (1/2 credit)
- 3 Social Studies selections (1/2 credit each)
- Three terms of Physical Education=1½ Credits
- Phy Ed 9 (1/2 credit)
- 2 Phy Ed selections (1/2 credit each)
- Co-Health (1/2 credit)
- Computer Applications (1/2 credit)
- Personal Finance (1 credit)
- Personal Finance
- Finance and Investing (starting with the class of 2025)
- All other credits will be earned by selecting elective course options. Please see the Loyal High School Course Description Book and the CWETN Course Description Book.
- Eight credits of music may apply toward graduation.
Click HERE (class of 2023 and 2024) and HERE (class of 2025 forward) for a sample FOUR-YEAR plan, which lists all required courses for graduation.
*Classes approved for the third credit/year of Mathematics and Science at Loyal High School will apply toward the credit requirements to graduate from Loyal High School. However, these classes may not be accepted as math/science credit at other secondary schools or post-secondary institutions. Please consider this as you select your third Mathematics and third Science credits.
*Basic Algebra and Technical Math can each count as 1/2 credits of Mathematics toward LHS graduation.
*Animal Science can count as ½ credit of Science toward LHS graduation.
*Horticulture can count as ½ credit of Science toward LHS graduation.
Foreign Language--2 years of foreign language are recommended, but not required for graduation. UW Madison requires students have 2 years of a foreign language for acceptance.